You wouldn’t think of going on a boat ride without enough gas, or a climb without the right equipment.
Here are a few simple safety measures that will go a long way.
Know where you’re going:
• Create a realistic itinerary.
• Know access points in case of emergency, or in case you need to cut the trip short.
• Make sure loved ones have your itinerary.
• Be realistic about the terrain. If you’re not an expert, go with someone who is.
Pack like a champ:
• Make sure you have a current map/GPS.
• Bring gear for activities and weather.
• Speaking of weather, pack for potential storms and heat as well as what’s forecasted.
• Consider packing a Personal Locator Beacon.
First aid musts:
• Make sure to have any prescriptions you might need.
• Pain management and allergy medication always comes in handy.
• Bacitracin and iodine, as well as bandages for wounds.